Job ID: 352046
Power Plant Operator II
Regular / Rotating
We Are Hiring
Power Plant Operator II - Plant Operations 001 - Full-Time, Rotating - Ascension Borgess Hospital - Kalamazoo, MI
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 15 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an associate with Ascension Michigan, you will have the opportunity to be responsible for maintaining and operating the gas or oil fired boilers and related auxiliary equipment in the Medical Center. Repairs and maintains all Medical Center property and equipment through scheduled and non-scheduled maintenance procedures. Maintains a continuous flow of steam to the Medical Center. Must have knowledge of physics, mechanical drawing, and blueprint reading as well as the analytical skills necessary to operate boiler and the repair of specialized systems such as water treatment systems and related equipment.
- Records all pertinent and required data in order to provide an accurate history of preventive maintenance, equipment problems, and their solutions. Reports all malfunctions or unusual situations to the work leader or management.
- Answers telephone calls and responds to emergency situations.
- When assigned, assists other maintenance personnel in performing their work.
- Performs assigned preventative maintenance on a scheduled basis. Locates and eliminates malfunctions in non-routine situations. In doing so, ensures that affected departments are prepared for and minimally inconvenienced by work performed.
- Make rounds of buildings and equipment on a scheduled basis. Cleans and maintains water softening equipment and de-alkalizers. Tests boiler water, makeup water, cooling towers and treat accordingly.
- Assist with the training and/or orientation of new Power Plant Operators.
- Responsible to be knowledgeable in usage of Building Automation System for control of Air Handlers and Associated Equipment.
- Responsible to have knowledge and understanding of the Pneumatic Tube System to assist maintenance mechanics with troubleshooting system problems.
- Capable of performing chiller start-up and shut-down as needed to maintain appropriate building temperatures
- The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- Certified Fourth Class Engineer obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- Preferred Credential(s):
- Certified Third Class Engineer.
- HS or Equivalent
- High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED) required and Two (2) years of boiler related work experience is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Borgess Health is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to the nondiscrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, disability, veteran or marital status.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.