Job ID: 347441
Health Unit Coordinator (HUC) - Emergency Department (ED)
Madison Heights, Michigan
Regular / Night
We Are Hiring
Health Unit Coordinator - Emergency Department 001 - Full-Time,Night - Ascension Macomb - Oakland Hospital-34031 - Madison Heights,MI
This is a collective bargaining agreement union position.
7pm to 7am , every other weekend, every other holiday
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 15 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 200,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an associate with Ascension MI, you will have the opportunity to, under direct supervision, coordinates and implements activities at the nursing station to ensure smooth operation of the unit. Serves as unit communication center by receiving and giving information. Strives for Clinical Excellence by utilizing established protocols in an effort to achieve Clinical Excellence.
- Non electronic medical record: Transcribes physicians orders. Electronic medical record: Monitors PAL and follows up on orders accordingly. Must actively keep abreast of current procedures to ensure that orders are accurate and complete. Communicates orders or changes in orders to the appropriate person or department either verbally, in writing or electronically.
- Schedules patients for various procedures and tests, arranges for test preparation with appropriate departments. Must coordinate activities to avoid conflict in scheduling and/or preparation of procedures.
- Acts as the communication center for a patient unit or department, handles and directs all incoming and outgoing information, assists staff in answering nurse calls, operates pneumatic tube. Promptly answers patient call light intercom and notifies nursing staff member of patients need. Participates in team approach to patient care.
- Maintains the patients charts from admission through discharge, ensures that all necessary documents are in the chart before procedures, and is responsible for filing reports and preparing the charts for transfer to Medical Records if using paper chart. Ensures that all forms including duplicate/carbon copies are accurately labeled with the patient identification label.
- If hospital utilizes electronic record, ensures proper electronic forms are used.
- Performs clerical duties involved in the admission, discharge, transfer and death of a patient according to established procedure.
- Acts as a receptionist for a unit or department to assist visitors, physicians and hospital staff utilizing exceptional service excellence skills.
- Assists in teaching new unit coordinators by providing information, support and direction during on-the-job training.
- Collects statistical data for patient population reports, as assigned.
- Notifies Food Services of change in diets and orders nourishments, as appropriate.
- Maintains, orders and stocks all necessary material for the unit charts as well as patient education material for the unit.
- Maintains a neat organized work area/nurses station with appropriate level of supplies.
- Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues.
- Is knowledgeable with regards to clinical outcome measures and patient satisfaction results.
- Demonstrates competency with regards to computer skills necessary for job functions. Completes annual competencies as designated. Participates in educational programs and in-services.
- Maintains customer focus. Models, teaches, applies, and upholds St. John Health Care Promises and utilizes them as their behavioral standard.
- If completed appropriate portion of CRIM class for monitor interpretation and has demonstrated competency in Cardiac Rhythm interpretation may be assigned telemetry monitoring duties. See Telemetry Monitoring Addendum.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Medical Terminology
- Ability to interact effectively with patients, visitors, physicians, staff and other hospital departments.
- Filing systems
- Computer skills, including the ability to utilize the electronic medical record.
- Prioritization skills
What You Will NeedEducation:
- HS or Equivalent
- High School graduate or equivalent is required Graduate of a Health Unit Clerk/Coordinator Training Program required Completion of one to three month Department of Nursing Education orientation with acceptable level of performance required
- Minimum of one year clerical/public relations experience preferred, or one year related hospital experience required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Michigan provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within Ascension Michigan will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.
Thank you for considering a career with Ascension Michigan.
Ascension Michigan participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.